My Favorite Spring Meal - Corned Beef and Cabbage

I was at the store and saw Boar's Head Corned Beef on sale.  I couldn't resist even though it wasn't grass fed/grass finished beef.   So I suppose you could call this a PP cheat day.

I managed to make my corned beef on a Monday night after work using my Instant Pot.  After looking at approximately 10 online recipes, we decided to cook it on Pressure Cook for 70 minutes (2.33 pounds of beef, 30 minutes per pound) with a 10 minute natural release.

Here is the recipe (sort of):
  • ~2 lb Corned Beef
  • Bag of spices that comes with it, I usually make my own but was short on time
  • 4 cups of bone broth
  • 1 T whole allspice
  • 1 T black peppercorns
  • 1 chopped up carrot
  • 1 quartered onion
  • 1 chopped up stalk of celery
  • bay leaf
Place all ingredients in your Instant Pot and set to Pressure Cook for 70 minutes.  Let release naturally for 10 minutes when cooking is complete.  Shred and serve.

Sides:
  • Brussell sprouts, halved
  • Carrots sticks
Roast veggies in olive oil in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes, flipping once during cooking.

Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup Organic whole fat sour cream
  • 1 T Grainy mustard
  • 1 T Horseradish
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir.  Adjust proportions to taste.

Sauerkraut was Bubbie's from the refrigerated section. Probably the best store-bought sauerkraut available, and I thought I didn't care for sauerkraut. [Note: This irrational fear of sauerkraut was probably childhood trauma from when my grandfather annually, at Thanksgiving, chased me around the house with sauerkraut on a fork telling me it would, "...get rid of [my] worms." Ugh.]


Comments