End of Phase 2: The results are in...


Neither of us has made a post in a while, but we were coming down the stretch of the final weeks of Phase 2 and we've been more than a little busy with, let's just say, a few small crises. Anyway, I finally got my act together and set about analyzing my data from the 3 days of Phase 1 and the 6 weeks of Phase 2. So what were my results?
  • Total weight lost:      16.0 pounds
  • Reduction in body fat%: 3.6%
  • Gain in body muscle%:   2.5%
And the question that I suspect many people are wondering is, "Well, he may have gained in terms of muscle percentage, but how much muscle mass did he actually lose since he lost an overall 16 pounds of weight?" You may (or may not) be shocked to find out that my muscle mass changed +/- 0.2 pounds over the entire time. In other words, I have the same amount of muscle as when I started and my losses were almost entirely in body fat. Granted there would have been some additional water weight loss in the first 3 days or so, but I track my total weight, fat weight, and muscle weight, so I know for a fact how my body composition has changed over the course of eating this way.

Some of you may be more interested in a different measurement of my progress: waist size. Well, let's just say it is mandatory that I go shopping this weekend as I've lost approximately 2.5-3" around my waist and literally nothing fits any more, pants nor shirts. Can't say that I'm going to miss some of those fashions...

So clearly I am having success in terms of weight management. In addition, my digestion has improved significantly from when I started. Eating too much at one sitting still bothers me, but that's nothing compared to the digestive issues I'd been having. In addition, my skin is a clear as it has ever been which is something I really wasn't looking for but is more than a little noticeable. My general level of body "oily-ness" dropped dramatically. The texture of my hair has also improved -- it is clearly thicker and healthier. Pretty nice for side benefits.

One other thing that struck me, in particular yesterday, was that my thinking processes felt about 10 years younger. Multiple people asked me for technical help with something yesterday at about the same time and I was effortlessly describing troubleshooting procedures and data out of my head from 3 or 4 years ago while at the same time helping someone else revise and correct some technical drawings I'd never seen before. The gent that sits next to me even asked how much coffee I'd had that morning! I've suffered from "brain fog" for years now and I can't explain the relief I've gotten from this while eating this way.

Onward to Phase 3. This is no longer "a diet" to me. I just feel a whole lot better eating this way and I can't see myself going back any more. Looking better and feeling better is something you can't put a price on.

Comments